Tuesday, June 2, 2009

286 down, 6 to go

In each of our classrooms there is a clock, and on each of those clocks there is the date. For the last week, each time I see that date I'm a bit shocked. After being here for all this time, months and months on end, I'm actually going home. I'm certainly excited and can't wait to see everyone and experience America again, but it's hard to wrap my mind around. What will it feel like to see a policeman smile or to have to remember that a 5% tip is simply not acceptable?
It's going to be difficult to explain my experience. I know I've been guilty of asking incredibly vague and useless questions about people's travels and fully expect to get plenty of "How was Russia?" and the like. To prepare myself, I've decided to try to list 10 things I've learned.
1. In America we take reliability for granted. In Russia, if you see the cereal you like on the shelf, buy it. It might disappear tomorrow and be gone for a month. Also, keep several large containers of water in your apartment at all times so that when the water doesn't work for half a day, you can still function normally.
2. Not speaking the language of the surrounding culture has both advantages and disadvantages, but the second outweigh the first. I love the feeling of breakthrough when I communicate successfully in Russian and I have to admit that I enjoy the liberty to talk about people in front of them without their understanding, but I often wonder what I would do if I saw someone who really needed help. Also, not being able to speak Russian makes the post office that much worse.
3. In America we take the trustworthiness of our politicians for granted. Sure we have corrupt politicians and we make that stereotype the butt of many of our jokes, but we are honestly shocked when true corruption is revealed. Here it is simply expected.
4. Beets don't taste all that bad. Neither does cabbage. Especially when your body starts craving fresh vegetables. But mushrooms are still horrible.
5. British English and American English are actually remarkably different considering the common history and the frequent cultural interaction between the two nations. While the British system of saying "in hospital" does make sense, there are many ways I still hold that the American language is superior.
6. Living without faith in public figures seems to bind people more closely to their friends and loved ones.
7. I'm pretty sure fate has conspired to prevent us from ever finding Chinese food in Volgograd. Though since the "Mexican" food was covered in barbeque sauce and dill, that might have been for the better.
8. Anything can go on pizza, but that doesn't mean it is good. While fish is predictably horrible, fried egg is remarkably good.
9. While Americans could, and should, do more for the environment, we do care a lot more than some other nations.
10. The internet is probably the most wonderful invention of all time. As much as it pains me to say it, I think it equals the printing press.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You still no like-y mushrooms?

Anonymous said...

Sometimes I can't decide if disadvantages outweigh the advantages with the language difference (yes, I meant to say it that way). I think it's different for us in Korea, because we're very obviously not Korean. We already get enough stares and attention, that I'm usually glad I can retreat behind the safety of my language. Also, in Korea, if you look like you don't know what you're doing, you're more likely to get help and less likely to get in trouble.

We've had a similar experience with pizza, I think. Here, we do have many of the pizza chains from home (Pizza Hut, Papa John's, Dominoes) but sometimes there are still surprises. Once, when we ordered Hawaiian pizza, we got a pizza covered in canned peaches, grapes, cherries, tasteless jello cubes, and a few pineapple pieces. I have learned to like potatoes on pizza, but I don't think I can embrace shrimp as a topping of choice.

I'm glad you're going home soon. Let me know if it's really weird to be back in the States.

Shante said...

I’m sorry if I will look like importunate person but let me write some comments about life in Russia.
1. I agree. Russian always provide for the worst event of life. And we are not pessimist.
2. Many young people can understand English language (less France or Germany). The most graduates have pre-Intermediate level or better.
3. I don’t believe in honest politicians. It doesn’t depend on country or culture. In Russia just not necessary be of liar more. And this persons have studied be of liar not in Russia. Anyway. I think to separate the big business and State power –it’s impossible. Now the State power it’s the way earn money.
4. I think you haven't found good market where you can buy fresh vegetables and fruits yet. About mushrooms –In Volgograd oblast it doesn’t grow (only champignons inside hothouse). I’ve lived 8 years in Siberia and I still remember that means good and fresh mushrooms. But you can find another good food like fruits or tradition dishes from meat.
5. …
6. I’m not sure that I right understood that you want say “ Living without faith in public figures”. If it’s about politicians or religion or pop starts it’s more difficult then you said.
7. Don’t try to find in Russia international food especially Japanese. The carrying all foodstuff it’s expensive, the carrying international chief cook more. But you can try meal from Czech and Germany restaurants. This is really popular and good.

Anonymous said...

ahh, still no likeeeee mushromms